Having worked in the public and private sector for the past 15 years in a wide range of corporate gigs, I am convinced that the benefits of practising improv go well beyond the amazing and hilarious performances you might see on TV or in a bar or club around town.
The skills required to master improv are the same skills required to master most facets of life, and here I take you through just some of the key reasons why every workplace needs improv.
- Fail Gracefully. Through improv, I’ve learned that it’s ok to make mistakes – in fact, “mistakes” often lead to really wonderful and fun results! As a perfectionist, it can be hard to let go of things that I think could be improved, but improv exercises have taught me to live in the moment and not overthink anything, which in a team scenario can translate into adaptability, flexibility and a willingness to take risks.
- Team Work. If your team struggles to connect or if you want to reinforce existing bonds, look no further. Improv is the ultimate team-building training, providing a stage to showcase everyone’s unique talents and perspectives, while teaching the entire group active listening skills, respect, and the opportunity to celebrate successes built together.
- Have Fun. When was the last time you laughed until your face hurt? Improv is a great way to loosen up and have fun without fear of looking silly, or having all eyes on you. The Improv Embassy corporate team is happy to customize workshops so they are only game-based or so that they include performance activities, depending on the wants and needs of your group. It is crucial that everyone feels comfortable and no one is ever put on the spot or asked to perform if they don’t want to.
- Think on Your Feet. The ability to have a quick retort in almost any situation is invaluable. Improv can help anyone develop the confidence to speak up in meetings, respond to Q&As following presentations, and host events. And it can just as easily help with everyday banter and small talk! You’ll never fear being stuck in the elevator with The Boss again.
- Public Speaking. All of the skills mentioned so far culminate to create the ultimate training in public speaking. These workshops can help every skill level gain the confidence to present and lead events or group activities with ease and humour.
- Mental and Physical Health. When was the last time you took a break? Improv is often considered a “theatre sport” for a reason—it encourages physical and intellectual activity. So get out of your chair, away from your computer and clear your mind!
- Celebrate Diversity. Everyone brings a set of unique life experiences and skills to the table. Having a custom-designed workshop for your team can be beneficial to any group looking to learn more about each other, break down barriers (real or perceived) and respect one another.
- Be Present. You may think that “Mindfulness” is just the latest buzz word, but it is essential for improv. Our workshops can help you and your team slow down, pay attention, and truly listen to each other.
If you or someone you know has a workplace that could benefit from a customized Improv Embassy workshop – or if you want to bring the Embassy in to entertain your group at a corporate event – check out our Workplace Workshops page and Contact Us for more information.