Note: Unfortunately, we’ve had to hit pause on all our classes because of COVID-19. We hope to resume as soon as we can. In the meantime, we are hosting some improv jams online. Check out the Improv Embassy’s Facebook page for more news, or our Community group to stay involved. If you have any questions, please e-mail email@example.com.
The Improv Embassy runs improv and other comedy classes in Ottawa for those wanting to learn comedy in a fun, supportive environment. With improv, walking onstage with nothing written down may seem daunting, but it’s a lot easier than it sounds — plus you’ll spend all class laughing! You’ll learn skills that will make you better at public speaking, get you out of your comfort zone and kick-start your creativity.
WHICH CLASS IS RIGHT FOR ME?
Intro to Improv – Our 4-week Intro classes are the perfect fit if you’re looking to work on public speaking, meet new people, build your communication and interpersonal skills, or just have some silly fun with the kind of improv games you’ve seen on “Whose Line Is It Anyway”. For folks who prefer the relaxed pace of our Intro classes, you are welcome to take them more than once — no two classes are exactly the same! (Visit our class policies page for more info about our retaking discount)
Longform Improv – Our Longform classes (spanning 5 levels of 8-week courses) are geared toward students who want to get into the theory of comedy, hone performance skills, learn game of the scene and the pattern work of thematic longform improv like New York’s Upright Citizens’ Brigade or Chicago’s iO Theater. We encourage you to bring a notebook to these classes, so you can keep track of new concepts and teacher feedback! (Note: at the Embassy, we have our own terms and style of play — all students start in 101, regardless of previous improv background, to encourage groupmind)
Other Programming – We offer Specialty Classes and Guest Workshops to give you a taste of other comedy disciplines and approaches to improv. (There is also a vibrant improv community outside of the Embassy with other places to learn — join Improv in Ottawa to keep up to date on new opportunities to watch, learn and grow).
Our class policies are updated each term — we recommend you give these a read for up to date information on refunds, class eligibility, and other policies before registering.
These are the current classes (upcoming March/April term offerings below).
Register before Friday, February 14 at 11:59 pm to get our 10% Early Bird discount! (Same deadline applies to our Inclusion Scholarship, which lets students from underrepresented communities and/or those with financial need to apply for subsidized classes)
How about some discounts?
- Sign up before February 14 at 11:59 pm to get our 10% Early Bird discount!
- Sign up for an Intro to Improv class with a friend and save $20! Just purchase more than one at a time and enter the coupon code “FRIENDS” at checkout. Email us if you have any questions.
- Want to retake a class? You can take a class again and meet a new group of students, all for 50% off the regular class price. Email us for more info.
- Our Inclusion Scholarship lets students from underrepresented communities and/or those with financial need to apply for subsidized classes. Deadline before the next term is February 14 at 11:59 pm.
And some class policies:
- CLASS MINIMUM: In general, we require a minimum of 6 people registered to run a class.
- Participants should be 18 or older to sign up; interested parties under 18 should have a parent or guardian contact us (our classes are geared toward adults, and admittance of minors are at the discretion of the registrar)
- LATENESS/ABSENCES: Please aim to arrive 10 minutes early to ensure class starts on time. If you know you’re going to be late or absent, email the teacher so they can adjust, as a courtesy to them and your classmates.
- ADVANCEMENT: Students who miss more than 2 days of a class may not be eligible to advance to the next level, without prior approval from our education director. (If you register without emailing us, your tuition will be refunded and a $25 admin fee deducted.) Occasionally, we may suggest you retake a class or do practice reps at our Thursday jam to build skills before advancing to the next level.
- PREREQUISITES: If you have not done a prerequisite or any classes at the Embassy, email firstname.lastname@example.org to introduce yourself and your background before registering for a specialty course, or 201 or higher, and the admin can decide at their discretion before you make the purchase.
(If you register for the class without emailing first, it will be automatically refunded with the $25 fee deducted.)
- CHANGING CLASSES: If your schedule changes and you wish to transfer into a different class time, it is a $25 admin fee to make the change (making up a missed class in another section is not permitted for the Intro level). Message us first to ask if the switch is possible (Note: if your class section is sold out, a switch may not be possible on short notice if we cannot sell your spot to another student.)
- REFUNDS: in fairness to others who couldn’t secure spots, refunds can only be made one week before the first class, minus the $25 admin fee.
- DEFERRALS: If you register for a class but find your availability changes, it is a $25 admin fee to defer a class, till the next term only (with reasonable notice before the start of class; once class is in session or if it is short notice and your class is sold out and we cannot sell your spot, a deferral may not be possible)
- RETAKING A CLASS: If you are hoping to retake a course, email email@example.com to and we can set up a 50% discount coupon for you if there is extra space in the class — we will know the week leading up to class if 1/2 price spots are available (note: we prioritize students who haven’t taken a course the first time; depending on demand, we may have you register the week leading up to the start of class OR you are welcome to register at full price to ensure you have spot in the class)
- SIGNING UP A FRIEND: If you’re signing up for or with a friend, please include a note with their name and email so we can add them to our class list.
- EMAIL ADDRESS: Make sure you enter your email address correctly so we can add you to the class list and you will get necessary info and updates.
Improv is the funnest hobby I’ve ever had. It pushed me out of my comfort zone and into a state of laughter-filled free-fall that’s honestly addictive. Best decision I ever made.
I took this to push myself into having to interact with strangers. I have succeeded in pushing myself out of my box and that’s all that matters. Improv is beautiful and I’m in awe of what people can come up with!
This is a great choice if you are looking to be involved in a positive community which allows you to have many laughs and build on your self-confidence.
These classes are memory-making. Besides what you learn about spontaneity and physicality, you have a blast.
Great staff and instructors. Very welcoming environment.